My Holy Rest

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Spiritual Sunday- A Sabbath Rest


Scripture upon which you may Rest
But I (we) worship at Your throne -– eternal, high and glorious!
Jeremiah 17:12




A prayer Starter
Holy God, into your presence I desire to enter. At Your feet I long to rest for a while, Father let me hear Your voice, teach me Your word and help me to apply it this day to my heart so I can live it each day to your glory. Father I invite You to be a lamp unto my feet and a light to my path.
Let me see You my God in every step as I walk according to Your word. To Your name I offer praise, in Your Presence I offer worship. Father grant me please entrance unto Thy eternal throne high and glorious. Draw me closer Sweet Jesus for in Your Name I pray.

A Spiritual Mediation
Read the scripture at least 3 times. Say it out loud.
Ask God to speak to your heart. Take a few moments to check in with your heart and your spirit what are you feeling? What are your thoughts as you consider yourself right now at the throne of God? Rest with your thoughts and let the Spirit penetrate your mind. Challenge yourself to just be quiet and let God bring you into His Holy Presence.

Sunday Study

This is what the LORD said to me: "Go and stand at the gate of the people, through which the kings of Judah go in and out; stand also at all the other gates of Jerusalem. Say to them, 'Hear the word of the Lord, O kings of Judah and all people of Judah and everyone living in Jerusalem who come through these gates. This is what the LORD says: Be careful not to carry a load on the Sabbath day or bring it through the gates of Jerusalem. Do not bring a load out of your houses or do any work on the Sabbath, but keep the Sabbath day holy, as I commanded your forefathers. Yet they did not listen or pay attention; they were stiff-necked and would not listen or respond to discipline.

The Lord commands us to keep the Sabbath holy, we are not to do any work or carry any loads into the city gate.
Applications for today-
Leave your heavy loads out of God’s temple; leave your stuff at the gates. Enter His holy tabernacle be it your local church, your place of Sabbath rest in your own home wherever you seek the Lord’s presence this Sabbath, put yourself away and carry praise and worship, and a desire only to be with the Lord. Do not be stubborn in this as our ancestors were, as the world is today.


But if you are careful to obey me, declares the Lord, and bring no load through the gates of this city on the Sabbath, but keep the Sabbath day holy by not doing any work on it, then kings who sit on David's throne will come through the gates of this city with their officials. They and their officials will come riding in chariots and on horses, accompanied by the men of Judah and those living in Jerusalem and this city will be inhabited forever.

Applications for today-
Do you desire to be an inhabitant of the forever Jerusalem; listen to the Lord and obey His word. Do you desire God to lift you to another level in Him? Would you like to ride on His chariots led by heavenly horses, obey His commands? Bring to His throne sacrificial offerings of obedience, sacred time, praise, thanksgiving, prayers,a willing heart and open ears to hear His voice. Give God these offering and trust Him to bear the loads you left at the gates.

People will come from the towns of Judah and the villages around Jerusalem, from the territory of Benjamin and the western foothills, from the hill country and the Negev, bringing burnt offerings and sacrifices, grain offerings, incense and thank offerings to the house of the Lord. But if you do not obey me to keep the Sabbath day holy by not carrying any load as you come through the gates of Jerusalem on the Sabbath day, then I will kindle an unquenchable fire in the gates of Jerusalem that will consume her fortresses.' “Jeremiah 17: 19-27

Refuse to listen to the Lord and He will set fire to your gates with flames no one will be able to put out. Oh my sisters and brothers be not stiff-necked in this command, listen to Your God and keep this day holy.

Reflection
Spend time reflecting on these scriptures. Identify the changes you need to make to keep the Sabbath Holy. Commit in your heart to spend your time with God on God. Remember God gives us 6 days to bring our worries, burdens, issues; loads to Him. He only ask for one day where we put all our thoughts on Him. One day out of seven we sacrifice all of self for our Creator, Provider, Sustainer, and our God.

Prayer
Father God keeper of my soul, help me to be not unwise, but wise in keeping the Sabbath Day holy. Help me to carry Your instructions in my heart. Father I willingly sacrifice the Sabbath to You, for you carry me daily, listening to my every need. Today I seek to glorify You, to rest in You only letting all the cares of the world go for I know you are in control, No load will I bring to Your Holy, High, Glorious Thorne this Sabbath Day. Guide me through this journey until my Sabbath is no longer in danger of being consumed by flames that I cannot put out. In Jesus Name I pray.

Go to Spiritual Sundays for more Inspiration on your Sabbath

4 comments:

Charlotte said...

Good lesson here. Thank you for sharing.

Peggy said...

Blessings Wilnette...Now I can clearly see why you are God Chaser!
Praise God who through whom all mercies flow! This was so inspiring and complete...from Scriptures to reflect and put into our thoughts,
from prayer starters to concluding prayer, from Study on "load" and keeping the Sabbath holy to applications and reflections! WOW!
Excellent way to approach every verse in His Holy Word!

Are you a preacher, too?

Jeremiah is one of the major prophets, we can learn much in these days by studying and heeding
what Our Lord spoke through the prophets! Enjoy your Holy Sabbath and Spiritual Sunday!

Carrie Garvin said...

Very good lesson indeed. I have enjoyed this post, and the flower in your header is just beautiful.

Joyfulsister said...

Happy Sunday Sistah!!
Yes! a great reminder, I find myself wanting so much to just rest and be still on my Sundays, God is still working on me as far as that (sigh). I get so frustrated, yet it is something I need to be disclipined about. Thanks for this important reminder my friend!!

Hugz Lorie