My Holy Rest

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Soul Rest

Sabbath Rest Scripture
This is what the Lord’s says:
“Stop at the crossroads and look around.
Ask for the old, godly way and walk in it.
Travel its path, and you will find rest for your souls.” Jeremiah 6:16

Than Jesus said, “Come to me all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.” Matthew 11:28-30

Sabbath Rest Prayer
Abba Father, upon Your Most Holy Name I call. Lord thy God as I stand at the crossroad give me spiritual eyes that I may see as You see. Show me the old godly way and strengthen me that I will walk in it as You instruct. Help me to choose the right path, the path which leads to gentleness and humility. Father I choose your burden for it is light and I choose to drop those burdens which causes my soul to be heavy and weary. I seek your rest, for You O Lord are my refuge and shield, Lord of my Sabbath. In the Name of Jesus, Your Chosen Servant I pray.

Sabbath Rest Meditation
Read the scriptures again at least 3 times. Let the words of the Lord soak into your heart. Ask yourself questions such as where is the Lord telling me to stop? Am I at any crossroads in my life? What are they? Are there any obstacles? Do I know which direction to go? Is the direction I have chosen the direction God would have me to choose? Why? Why not? How does my soul find rest? Write as many questions as you can to help you really mediate on what God is saying to you through these words.

Sabbath Rest Reflection
Sometimes life leads us to a crossroad and we must decide which way to move. God has given us words of guidance to help us move in the right direction. It is fine to stop and think and process our situation to ensure we move in the direction God would have us to move. He simply tells us to look around and consider all we see. “Stop at the crossroads and look around.”Once we have considered all which lies around us we are than to enter prayer and ask God to show us His way. “Ask for the old, godly way.” Too often we want to move as the world moves, as our friends and family would have us to move. God says move according to the old way leaving me to believe new is not always best. God’s ways are from old and though His method is constantly changing His ways does not. We are to move according to the ways of old, righteously, truthfully and with faith. “and walk in it” When you stand at the crossroads open your heart to be taught by the Master teacher His way is really easy. “Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart,” He does not teach that there will be no bumps; He teaches those bumps will be easy, not burdensome and weary. He teaches if you travel the godly path exchanging those heavy burdens for His lighter load you will find a resting place for your soul. “and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”

Write out your own reflections; let the Lord speak to your heart.
Offer God a prayer of thanks for giving you directions.
Offer God praise for all He has shown you as you mediated and reflected on His word.

Prayer of Praise
Lord, to You I offer a grateful heart, thank You for Your words of guidance. Thank You for opening my eyes and ears to see and hear Your instructions as I seek to make a decision about_________. Lord I give You praise for now I know the path to take. Thank You father for showing me Your ways of old, which are godly and right and is always the right direction to move. Lord though I have not yet reached the end of this journey, the path I must travel is still before me, yet I give You praise for leading me, making my burdens light and for giving my weary soul rest. In Jesus Name, the Lord of Rest I pray.

Deeper Rest
For only we who believe can enter His rest. Hebrews 4:3
Hebrews 4:1-11


Click Here for more Spiritual Sundays

5 comments:

Charlotte said...

We all stand at the crossroads at times in our lives. In fact many times. This is a good reminder. The header on your blog is so pretty with the water.
Thank you for sharing this on Spiritual Sundays. It's people like you that make this S.S. blog worth while.

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

I'm always thankful when I read your post...we live in a world who goes non-stop 24/7. At times I feel guilty when I stop and take a day of rest...but this is what God wants us to do. Thank you for the reminder :)

Blessings to you!
Kathi :)

Musings of A Minister said...

Powerful! Good thinks to think about. Thank you for reminding us to count the cost as we make decisions at the crossroads. Thank you for the encouragement this post offers.

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

Everytime I manage to survive a crossroad I become closer to God. So indeed when the crossroads come I know God is waiting for me to hold my hand.Thank-you for a great post.
Ginger

Peggy said...

Blessings Wilnette ~ I really enjoy the depths of these and the organized pattern...I was way down the page when I realized that I had gone by the one for today. It wsn't until I recognized one...I was so enjoying the prayers and prayer starters. I'm going to spend more time in this one so perhaps I'll have another response! God bless the way you REST on the Sabbath in His Word! I even just paused at the opening header to reflect on the beauty and His beauty! I dealt with weariness for a whole month last month and I'm just starting get find my rest in Him as I should have done, knowing that His yoke is easy & He carries the weight. Time to soak...Thanks! Enjoy a Spiritual Sunday and blessed week!