My Holy Rest

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Spiritual Sundays- True Fasting




Sabbath Rest Scripture
1 "Shout with the voice of a trumpet blast. Tell my people Israel of their sins! 2 Yet they act so pious! They come to the Temple every day and seem delighted to hear my laws. You would almost think this was a righteous nation that would never abandon its God. They love to make a show of coming to me and asking me to take action on their behalf.
3 'We have fasted before you!' they say. 'Why aren't you impressed? We have done much penance, and you don't even notice it!' "I will tell you why! It's because you are living for yourselves even while you are fasting. You keep right on oppressing your workers. 4 What good is fasting when you keep on fighting and quarreling? This kind of fasting will never get you anywhere with me. 5 You humble yourselves by going through the motions of penance, bowing your heads like a blade of grass in the wind. You dress in sackcloth and cover yourselves with ashes. Is this what you call fasting? Do you really think this will please the LORD? 6 "No, the kind of fasting I want calls you to free those who are wrongly imprisoned and to stop oppressing those who work for you. Treat them fairly and give them what they earn. 7 I want you to share your food with the hungry and to welcome poor wanderers into your homes. Give
clothes to those who need them, and do not hide from relatives who need your help.
8 "If you do these things, your salvation will come like the dawn. Yes, your healing will come quickly. Your godliness will lead you forward, and the glory of the LORD will protect you from behind. 9 Then when you call, the LORD will answer. 'Yes, I am here,' he will quickly reply. "Stop oppressing the helpless and stop making false accusations and spreading vicious rumors! 10 Feed the hungry and help those in trouble. Then your light will shine out from the darkness, and the darkness around you will be as bright as day. 11 The LORD will guide you continually, watering your life when you are dry and keeping you healthy, too. You will be like a well-watered garden, like an ever-flowing spring. 12 Your children will rebuild the deserted ruins of your cities. Then you will be known as the people who rebuild their walls and cities.
13 "Keep the Sabbath day holy. Don't pursue your own interests on that day, but enjoy the Sabbath and speak of it with delight as the LORD's holy day. Honor the LORD in everything you do, and don't follow your own desires or talk idly. If you do this, 14 the LORD will be your delight. I will give you great honor and give you your full share of the inheritance I promised to Jacob, your ancestor. I, the LORD, have spoken!" Isaiah 58

Sabbath Reflection
What are your thoughts as you read the Lord’s definition of fasting?
How different is God’s thoughts on fasting than the world’s/than your own?
Why was God displeased with the Israelites fasting? Why might He be displeased with your fasting?
Whom does God call you to serve?
What will God do if you fast according to His guidance?
Why do you think God included keeping the Sabbath Holy with these instructions about fasting?
What will you change today as you seek to be obedient to God’s instructions to keep the Sabbath Holy?

Sabbath Prayer
Father God I give thanks for your word. Thank you for instructing me, though I may find it easier to give up food than to seek and serve those in need I ask for your help. Help me to no longer close my eyes to the hungry and homeless. Help me to
share my many clothes with those who have none. Help me not to take the easy way out and just drop off clothes and those things which you have so graciously bless me at the nearest thrift store, but help me Father God to find the nearest shelter or Church Clothes closet, better yet Father God help me to find the person who stands in need. Father when I eat today help me to remember there are many with nothing, and Lord those meals I am fasting to show penance let me give those meals to someone who knows true hunger. Lord as you pour out Your wonderful blessing on me help me to remember I am blessed to be a blessings to others. Let me share my blessing with those You place in my path. Father God help me to reflect Jesus today by moving outside of myself and reaching out in love and compassion. Help me Lord to be as generous in my giving as You were in giving Jesus the Christ for me. I love You Lord and help me to show my love by being obedient to your word, that my fasting will be pleasing in Your sight. Lord Thy God help me to keep this Sabbath Day holy and look to Your interests rather than my own. Help me to delight in this glorious day and share your goodness with praise and worship in community and in my quiet time. Jesus in Your precious and loving Name I pray. Amen!


Click Here for more Spiritual Sundays

4 comments:

Sue said...

OH!!! My I always enjoy your Spiritual Sunday post, every time i am totally challenged to become more dedicated to my Lord and inventory my life to see how i can become more like him. Thank you so much for sharing.
Blessings,
Sue

SmilingSally said...

Thank your for sharing this good reminder. Happy Spiritual Sunday.

Charlotte said...

Thank you for sharing this scripture with us today. It is so easy for us to fall into the same temptations the Israelites did so long ago. If we're not careful religion can become just a legalistic keeping of laws. God is interested in our hearts and how we treat other people. We all need to be reminded of this.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Julie said...

What a great reminder!!!Have a restful Sunday...Julie